Find Your South Bay Home is your South Bay resource for real estate, investment properties homes and townhomes for sale in the cities of Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, El Segundo, Hawthorne, Hollyglen, Hollywood Riviera, Gardena, Lomita, Harbor City, San Pedro and Palos Verdes. Find South Bay Realtors®, South Bay Brokers home listings and homes for sale with our targeted home search and FREE South Bay MLS. If your are selling your South Bay home, find out what it is worth in today's market.
Send Me
Daily Listings!
Search South
Bay Homes
Search the
Selling Your
South Bay Home
Manhattan Beach Redondo Beach


Search South Bay Homes

Search Free MLS

Daily Listing Updates


South Bay Area Info

South Bay Buyers

South Bay Sellers

Oceanfront Homes

Real Estate Taxes

Vista Sothebys

About Us



South Bay Oceanfront & Beachfront Homes

Hermosa Beach Beachfront Homes

Manhattan Beach Oceanfront Homes

Redondo Beach Beachfront Homes

Palos Verdes Oceanfront Homes

Long Beach Oceanfront Homes

San Pedro Oceanfront Homes

Southern California Luxury Beachfront & Oceanfront Homes


Quick Links

Search for Homes

Search the MLS

What's Your Home Worth?

Recent Home Sales

Our Listings


How to Avoid Capital Gains Tax When You Sell
Your South Bay Home.....
There are a lot of reasons to buy real estate. You can buy with a minimal cash 
investment.  Real estate tends to appreciate in value over time. If you occupy 
the property, the federal government subsidizes your housing expense with tax 
write-offs for mortgage interest and property taxes. If that’s not enough incentive, 
consider the tax benefits you receive when you sell.
Homeowners who have owned their homes for at least two years are entitled to 
a capital gains  tax exemption when they sell. For married couples that file 
jointly, the first $500,000 of gain is taxfree. For single individuals, the exemption
is $250,000. In either case, the property must be a primary residence that you 
occupied for 2 of the 5 years before selling.
The current capital gains exclusion for primary residences can be taken every 
two years. So conceivably you could buy ahome, experience two years of 
appreciation, sell the property, receive tax-free gain, buy another property and 
repea the sequence again and again.
The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 significantly changed the federal tax laws
regarding the sale of a principal residence. Under the current law, you don’t 
need to invest in another home in order to defer capital gain liability, as was
the case previously. Even if you sell your home and rent indefinitely, you’re 
entitled to take the $250,000 (individual) or $500,000 (married couples) capital 
gain tax exemption.
Contractors and renovation specialists are making good use of the current 
tax law. Some builders are choosing to occupy a home they’ve recently built 
rather than sell it new. After establishing the 2-year minimum residency 
requirement, they sell the property and are eligible for the $250,000 (individual) 
or $500,000 (married couples) capital gain tax exemption. Home buyers with
fix-up expertise can use this strategy to help build wealth. First, buy a fixer 
and move into it. Fix it up and live there for at least two years. Then sell, 
take your tax-free gain and buy another fixer. But don’t even consider this 
approach unless you like moving a lot and you can live comfortably in a 
construction zone.  You’re only entitled to cash in on tax-free capital gain 
on the sale of your primary residence. If you own income-producing property,
you must pay tax on the gain when you sell unless you complete a 1031 
tax-deferred exchange. A 1031 exchangeallows you to roll gain from one 
income-producing property into another income-producing property. You 
ultimately have to paytax on the gain, but a 1031 exchange permits you 
to defer capital gain  tax payment in the future.
HOME SELLER TIP:  Some homeowners are incorporating current tax law 
into their retirement planning. Recently, an Oakland,Calif., couple sold an 
apartment building using a 1031 Exchange. With the proceeds, they 
purchased, or traded into, a home they’ll ultimately occupy when they retire. 
Until they retire, the property will be rented. So, they traded onerental 
property for another and deferred paying tax on the gain. At retirement, they
will sell their current residence and collect $500,000 of tax-free gain. Then 
they’ll move into the rental property they acquired in exchange for the 
apartment building they sold years before. For tax purposes, they’ll convert 
the rental property to their primary residence and will avoid paying tax on 
the gain of the investment properties.
THE CLOSING: Federal tax laws are in a continuous state of flux, so be 
sure to consult a knowledgeable tax advisor before you buy or sell, particularly 
if income property is involved. State tax laws vary, so consult with an expert 
in your area.

Home | E-mail | Profile | Testimonials | About South Bay Brokers | Open Houses | Local Partners | Site Map | Links | Articles | News South Bay Home Search | South Bay Neighborhoods | Finance | Request Info | Area Info | Properties | Marketing Strategies | Out of Area Resources | Free Market Evaluation of your Home | Schools | Community | Doctors | Home Buying | Home Selling | Mortgage Calculators | Tips for Buyers and Sellers RE Glossary | Taxes | Request New Listings | Search the MLS | Investors | Loan Glossary | South Bay Map | Lenders | Median Home Prices | Holding Title | KKH eNewsletter | Real Estate Information | Why Buyers and Sellers Choose Me | Recent South Bay Sales | California Association of Realtors

Manhattan Beach | Hermosa Beach |  Redondo Beach | Torrance | El Segundo | Palos Verdes | Hawthorne | Hollywood Riviera | Golden Hills | San Pedro